Ice Storm 2024 – Springfield Recovery

The City of Springfield’s State of Emergency Declaration is currently extended to April 1, 2024

Please note that this page is scheduled to be archived at midnight on March 31, 2024.

Team Springfield is a collaboration of four local organizations dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of those who live in Springfield. Our four partners are Springfield Utility Board (SUB), City of Springfield, Springfield Public Schools, and Willamalane Park and Recreation District.

We are working collaboratively with other local, county, and state officials in response to the ice storm that has hit our community. We always prioritize life and safety.

It can be hard to take in all of the loss and damage in our City. At the same time we see so much service, empathy, and care from our community members and employees.  Thank you! We are so very proud of the work you are doing. Stay safe!

We will update this page as information becomes available so please check back periodically:


From the list below, click the [+] box for information on that topic.


Updated 2/15/24, 2 p.m.

To Springfield small businesses & non-profits

If your business was substantially affected financially by the ice storm, you might eligible for an Economic Injury Disaster Loan from the Small Business Administration, through the Oregon Department of Emergency Management. This to small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, and most private nonprofit organizations in the declared disaster area, which includes Springfield and Lane County.

The deadline to apply is November 8, 2024.

  • To meet in person with a Small Business Administration representative, scroll down for locations and details.
  • To apply for the economic injury loan visit To start, select the red button at the top to “Register for MySBA.”


  • Substantial economic injury means the business is unable to meet its obligations and pay its ordinary and necessary operating expenses.
  • EIDL provides the necessary working capital to help small businesses impacted by a disaster survive until normal operations resume.
  • EIDL assistance is available only to small businesses when SBA determines they are unable to obtain credit elsewhere.

SBA can provide up to $2 million* to help meet financial obligations and operating expenses that could have been met had the disaster not occurred. The loan amount will be based on your actual economic injury and your company’s financial needs, regardless of whether the business suffered any property damage.

The maximum combined loan amount is $2 million. A separate SBA Disaster Assistance program known as business physical disaster loans covers property damage.

Use of proceeds:
Working capital and normal expenses such as the continuation of health care benefits, rent, utilities, and fixed debt payments


  • First payment deferred for 12 months
  • No interest accrual for the first 12 months
  • The interest rate will not exceed 4%

For a free consultation: 

  • Springfield:
    • Springfield Public Library Meeting Room
    • Dates: Wednesday, February 21 &  Wednesday, February 28
    • Address: 225 5th St, Springfield
    • Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
  • Eugene:
    • Lane County Public Service Building, adjacent to Finance Lobby (ground floor)
    • Dates: Tuesday, February 20; Monday, February 26; and  Tuesday, February 27
    • Address: 125 E 8th Ave,  Eugene
    • Hours: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
  • Cottage Grove:
    • Cottage Grove Library
    • Dates: Thursday, February 22 and  Thursday, February 29
    • Address: 700 E Gibbs Ave, Cottage Grove
    • Hours: 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM.
    • Cottage Grove Community Center
    • Dates: Friday, February 23 and  Friday, March 1
    • Address: 700 E Gibbs Ave, Cottage Grove
    • Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
  • Online at the Virtual Business Recovery Center
    • Opens at 8 a.m., Friday, Feb. 9
    • Monday – Friday
    • 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
    • (916) 735-1531

*A business may qualify for, both, an EIDL and a physical disaster loan.

If you live on a half acre or more in Springfield and follow all other LRAPA normal Residential Outdoor Burning requirements, which work to protect everyone’s health and safety, you can now burn tree debris from the ice storm on your property.

At the City’s request, the Board for Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA) took special action to allow outdoor burning to start February 20, which is 2 weeks before the normal outdoor burning season begins, and the burning of green wood. Eugene Springfield Fire is also waiving the fee for the needed outdoor burning permit.

The City, the LRAPA Board, and Eugene Springfield Fire all recognized the community’s need to continue to manage tree debris from the ice storm and saw this as a way to help.

Here are the steps and tips:

check markTo see if outdoor burning on your residential property will be allowed, enter your address in this simple online tool from the staff who create the City’s maps (the GIS Dept.): Follow any instructions that will be displayed below.

check mark View Eugene Springfield Fire’s Residential and Recreational Outdoor Burning flowchart that answers common questions.

check markFill out, submit and receive an outdoor burning permit from Eugene Springfield Fire; the $25 fee is being waived to obtain a permit to burn tree debris from the ice storm.

check markRight before you burn, check LRAPA’s webpage or call 541-726-3976, to make sure it’s safe at that time. That’s important because air conditions change by the hour and smoke and wind affect everyone’s health, plus the risk of fire spreading.

check markThis temporary change allows the burning green wood in addition to dried wood. No piles of leaves, no grass, and no other materials.

check markBurning green wood can be a challenge, here’s some tips:

  • Prepare wood by splitting it to reduce the amount of smoke.
  • Keep the fire small, to prevent it spreading in the wind.
  • Try starting the fire with dry wood before adding green wood. That’s a safer alternative than using accelerants like gasoline.
  • Clear a 10-foot radius around your burn pile.

check markFor piles over 3-feet in diameter and over 2-feet tall, only burn in a location that’s more than 50 feet from any structure, or in approved burn containers that 15-or-more feet from a structure. Piles less than 3-feet in diameter and under 2-feet tall, must be 25-or-more feet away from any structure.

Report burning complaints to LRAPA by calling 541-726-1930 or complete the online form.

Read more about this decision from the LRAPA Board.

Updated 2/20/24, 11 a.m.

The City of Springfield’s free storm debris drop-off wrapped up on Sunday, Feb. 18. Thanks to everyone who helped it go smoothly!

Forms & Applications

Updated 2/1/24, 4 p.m.

Springfield renters and property owners whose homes were damaged in the recent ice storm are encouraged to complete Lane County’s online form “Ice Storm Housing Damage Survey.”

Click here to open the online form.

Both renters and property owners are encouraged to complete the form. The form will be used to help Lane County and its partners understand the long-term recovery needs of the community.

You should still work with your insurance company to pursue reimbursement for eligible damages and repairs. There are currently no government resources available to repair private properties or businesses.

Updated 2/2/24, 1 p.m.

According to Lane County, if your property was damaged in the ice storm, you may be eligible for a proration (reduction) of your 2023-24 property taxes.
Lane County Assessment & Taxation is accepting applications through June 30, 2024. Most properties will need to be physically inspected for damage. The refund process can start as soon as the appraiser verifies the damage and the amount of loss.
More information about proration and the application is available at

Need help?

  • Emergency calls: 911
  • Springfield Police Department non-emergency phone: 541-726-3714

Updated 1/26/24, 9 a.m.

From Food for Lane County’s post on Facebook:

Springfield Area Food Pantries

  • To qualify for food assistance, you need to be at or below 300% of the federal poverty level.
  • You will be asked to sign in with your name, zip code and the number of adults and children in your household.
  • You will not need to show identification or documentation.
  • Be aware that there may be a line. Please bring bags or boxes to carry your food!

FFLC Mobile Pantry at Bob Keefer Center
250 S 32nd St., Last Fridays, 4-6 p.m.

Catholic Community Services
1025 G St., Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 8 a.m.- 12 p.m.

The Shepherd’s Table at St. John’s
2537 Game Farm Rd., Saturdays, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.

Crossfire Hands of Hope
942 28th St., Thursdays, 12 p.m.- 4 p.m.

The ARC of Lane County
4181 E St., Tuesdays, Thursdays, 2-6 p.m.

For help with filing your insurance claim, contact the Oregon Division of Financial Regulation.

This division has a lot of resources available to the public.

Updated 2/1/24, 4 p.m.

City of Springfield, City Hall Lobby
Open to all community members.

  • Services:
    • Warm up, charge devices, and access the internet.
  • Location:
    • Springfield City Hall, 225 5th St, Springfield, OR 97477
  • During normal hours:
    • Mondays: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
    • Tuesdays: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
    • Wednesdays: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
    • Thursdays: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
    • Fridays: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
    • Saturdays: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
    • Sundays: Closed

Willamalane Park and Recreation District
Open to all community members.

Bob Keefer Center

  • Services
    • Showers, warm up, charge devices, and access the internet.
  • Location:
    • 250 S. 32nd St., Springfield, OR 97478 | LTD route: 11
  • During normal hours:
    • Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m.
    • Saturday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
    • Sunday: 12- 5 p.m.

Willamalane Adult Activity Center

  • Services
    • Warm up, charge devices, and access the internet.
  • Location:
    • 215 W. C St., Springfield OR 97477 | LTD route: Travel from Springfield Station
  • During normal hours:
    • Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Need to report something?

Updated 1/26/24, 9 a.m.

Tree cleanup and debris removal are a priority for the City of Springfield’s Operations crews from the Development and Public Works Department. Priority is going to the roads with the most traffic.

  • Tree cleanup is being tracked using our Storm Response map created by the City’s Geographic Information Systems (GIS) team.
  • City Operations crews plan to eventually clean up all street trees, which most commonly grow in the planter strips between the sidewalks and roadways.
  • An estimated tens-of-thousands of street trees need attention, so street tree cleanup efforts are expected to take several months. Trees that are not an immediate hazard will not be removed right away, but will eventually be cleared. Those willing to clean up street trees themselves are encouraged to do so.
  • Additional contractors have been hired to work in residential areas to clean up and remove street trees and debris.
  • If you have tree debris and branches on your property from trees that are not street trees, you are responsible for cleanup and removal. Please do not place this debris in the streets or City piles. City crews will not take them and it slows them down.
  • For updates on tree cleanup, check out the City of Springfield’s social media channels on FacebookInstagram, or X.

Please report any fallen trees that are an immediate hazard on public streets or property to Springfield’s Operations crews:

  • During normal business hours 8 a.m.-4 p.m., call 541-726-3761.
  • For after-hours response please call the police non-emergency line at 541-726-3714.
  • For trees that don’t impose an immediate hazard or safety issue please email and we will respond as soon as possible.

Updated 1/27/24, 9 a.m.

The Operations Division of the City of Springfield’s Development and Public Works Dept. manages and maintains street signs, signals, street markings, and City streetlights including the LED streetlight upgrade project.

  • The Traffic Team in the Operations Division is repairing or replacing damaged street signs, pedestrian crossings, traffic signals, and other infrastructure that was affected by the recent ice storm and several related vehicle crashes. Fortunately, all traffic lights are in good condition and fully operational, and have come back online as power is restored.
  • With the focus being put on storm restoration, the LED streetlight upgrade project has been suspended temporarily. The contractor hired for the project has been assisting with Springfield Utility Board’s power restoration and will return to the streetlight project once we have assessed our lighting system and coordinated repairs.

If you know of a streetlight or street sign including street names, stop signs, or other traffic control signs that have been damaged or are missing, please report those to the City of Springfield Operations Division 541-726-3761. They will add it to the list of items that need attention.

Contact your internet service provider. Springfield Utility Board (SUB) does not provide internet service and can’t assist with that.

Any concerns about powerlines need to go directly to Springfield Utility Board (SUB), not the City. Please call either of SUB’s customer service lines: 541-726-2395 or 541-746-8451.

Updated 1/27/24, 9 a.m.

Report park damage or hazards on Willamalane properties:

  • Call 541-736-4544. You can check the park status map to see open and closed Willamalane parks available at

Report damage on private property from Willamalane trees:

  • Email with the following information: pictures of the damage, the homeowner’s name, the address of the property damaged, the name and contact information of the property coverage insurance, and which of Willamalane’s properties neighbor it. If renters are placing reports, please provide the landlord’s contact information.

General Storm-Related Information

Click for food safety info from OHA.

If you were wondering what to do with the food that was in your fridge or freezer when the power went out, the Oregon Health Authority shared this information to help.

It’s written for restaurants, but works for everyone. Stay healthy and safe by making sure your food is too!

Updated 1/26/24, 9 a.m.

Mohawk Coin Laundry
2152 Marcola Rd., 541-643-3455
Monday-Sunday, 6 a.m.–12 a.m.
No attendant until 8:45 a.m. Last load in at 10:30 p.m.

Rose Laundry
687 W Centennial Blvd., 541-868-2896
Monday-Sunday, 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
No attendant

Main St Laundry
4215 Main St., 541-868-2896
Monday-Sunday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
No attendant

Fireside Coin Laundry
5126 OR-126 BUS, 541-726-6863
Monday-Saturday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday, 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Updated 2/2/24, 10 a.m.

While many Americans may have a general readiness plan for emergencies in their homes, these plans often don’t consider older adults’ particular circumstances, such as limited mobility. That’s why the National Council On Aging (NCOA) created an Emergency Preparedness for Older Adults guide, to help this group feel prepared should disaster strike.

The guide includes:

  • Special considerations for challenges with transportation, mobility issues, medication, cognitive challenges, hearing or visual impairments, and more.
  • How to create an emergency plan for older adults.
  • Emergency kits for older adults.
  • The role of stress.

It includes a downloadable State-by-State Emergency Preparedness Guide PDF for Oregon-specific information.

As cleanup from the January ice storm continues, it’s important to be aware of potential scams. Check out the Disaster Scams Prevention booklet from Oregon’s Department of Justice, Department of Consumer and Business Services, and the Construction Contractors Board at It has information for spotting, avoiding, and reporting scams after a disaster.
Here are a few tips to help spot a possible scammer:
  • Scammers contact you out of the blue.
  • Scammers pressure you to make a quick decision.
  • Scammers ask for personal information.
  • Scammers offer low prices and demand immediate payment.
  • Scammers ask for payment in cash, prepaid cards, or to wire money.
When hiring a landscape or construction contractor you can check the company you’re hiring by contacting the following agencies:

Updated 2/26/24, 11 a.m.

TEMPORARY FEE WAIVER! For a short time, fees for Tree Felling Permits will be waived to remove hazard trees created by the January 2024 ice storm. These will also have an expedited tree felling permit process.

We understand there may be a lot of questions about whether a permit is needed to cut down trees damaged by the ice storm. The answer is: it depends. Please check out this fact sheet about the City of Springfield’s tree removal permits.

If you still have questions, we’re here to help!

Contact Springfield’s Planning Department for info

  • Visit the City’s website to “Ask a Planner” at:
  • Email the planner on duty at:
  • Phone: 541-726-3753, choose 1, choose 1 again, and leave a message for the “Planner on Duty.”
  • In person: Community Development Center, Springfield City Hall, 225 5th St., Springfield, OR.
  • Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 8-12 a.m., and 1-4 p.m.


For help with filing your insurance claim, contact the Oregon Division of Financial Regulation, which has a lot of publicly available resources.

Contact Your Insurer

Reach out to your homeowners insurance agent. Your policy requires you to make a claim in a timely manner, and that starts with contacting the insurer. But that contact can also help you get financial help right away. That coverage, standard in most homeowners’ and renters’ policies, is called additional living expenses (ALE) insurance.

You will eventually have to document the damage, but in the interim, ALE can help you cover costs like temporary housing, restaurant meals, laundry, extra commuting expenses, and pet boarding.

If you have insurance questions or concerns, contact the division’s consumer advocates at 888-877-4894, email Or visit

Get Your Coverage Details

When you contact your agent or insurance company, find out what’s covered in your policy. You can also probably find it on your account page on the insurer’s website.

A standard homeowners insurance policy covers damage to the home’s structure as well as personal property, minus a deductible. The amount you’re paid will depend on the kind of coverage you have. “Replacement cost” coverage should pay for the cost of repairing or replacing your home and any lost or damaged items at today’s prices—without accounting for the original items’ depreciation. “Actual cash value” coverage will pay you the value of your home and the damaged items inside, after depreciation has been taken into account.

Discuss Exclusions or Limits in Your Policy

If your insurer maintains that your policy doesn’t cover all the damages or if you think the compensation is too low, ask the carrier’s rep to explain in writing how they got to the estimate. The rep should also include any reason certain items aren’t covered and whether there are any coverage limits.

Document Everything

You will typically need to document your property damage to initiate a visit from an adjuster (the professional who assesses the costs of repairing, restoring, or rebuilding). It helps to make a list of items that were destroyed or are in need of repair. Include the amount you paid for them and gather any receipts you can find.

After the adjuster’s appointment, remain in contact by email or text so that you have backup of all your communication. Keep notes about missed appointments, unreturned phone calls, what you discussed, and even whether the adjuster was rude. Though you probably won’t need this information, it will be useful if any disagreements have to be resolved in court.

Make copies of all documents, including everything you give to the adjuster, such as your list of property lost or damaged. If the adjuster advises you to get repairs, get that permission in writing.

The first adjuster may be replaced by a new one during the claims process, so having correspondence in writing could be helpful to you.

Prepare for the Adjuster

The insurance company will assign an adjuster, who will assess the damage and submit an estimate for review. Since the beginning of the pandemic, adjusters have increasingly been doing their work remotely—communicating through smartphone tools like FaceTime, Google Meet, and Skype—and accepting videos and photos directly from policyholders’ phones.

During the appointment, the adjuster may ask you to walk from room to room taking video with your phone, describing the damage and showing it in context and scale by zooming in and out.

But if you’re not comfortable meeting virtually—or the damage appears to be considerable and severe—you can ask the insurer to have an adjuster come to your home.

If that’s the case, ask the insurance company for the adjuster’s name before your appointment, then ask for identification before letting the person into your home.

Regardless of whether your adjuster’s visit is conducted virtually or in person, it helps to make a list of items that were destroyed or are in need of repair. Include the amount you paid for them and gather any receipts you can find.

You can report more damage you discover after the adjuster’s appointment. Depending on the policy, a claim can stay open—and you can receive additional compensation—after the initial report.

Adapted from Consumer Reports. 

Click to view the letter to Washburne property owners and residents.

Updated 1/25/24, 3 p.m.

Property owners and residents of Springfield’s Washburne Historic District are invited to reach out for guidance as they work to recover after any damage to their homes and trees from the 2024 ice storm.

Agency-Related Information

Lane County is coordinating the emergency response to the ice storm at a regional level. Many resources at the county level are also available to Springfield. Visit their website for updates:

Updated 1/25/24, 11 a.m.

LTD bus and EmX service has resumed on regular schedules. There may be minor delays due to debris in the roadways. RideSource trips will be evaluated for safety on a case-by-case basis.

For the latest updates:

Springfield Utility Board (SUB) is a customer-owned public utility providing water and electric service in Springfield. Find SUB ice storm updates at:

Ice-storm related information for Springfield Public Schools:

Here’s how you can help

Some of our work to recover from the ice storm is now complete, while other things will take weeks and even months. If you’re among the many who want to help with current recovery efforts, or be better prepared for future emergencies, here are a few things you can do.

During cleanup:

  1. If your home was damaged by the ice storm or you lost business, see the “Forms” section above and consider reporting that damage to Lane County. It will help them accurately represent the damage to other agencies and possibly apply for financial assistance.
  2. Separate your street tree debris from your private tree debris. It has been noted that some households are putting all debris in one pile. City crews will only remove street tree debris and they can tell when there are other types of branches included. Combining the piles slows down their work. Cleanup from trees on private property is the responsibility of the property owner. The City is cleaning up street trees only. See their progress on this map:
  3. Give crews room to work. Especially pedestrians and bicyclists have been noticed as weaving around warning signs and continuing to travel through active work zones. That’s not safe. Instead, cross the street to stay away from marked work areas, or take another route.
  4. Prevent flooding by removing yard debris from areas where stormwater runoff flows. It’s been noted that some are piling debris in the street or drainage ditches. That’s a problem because rain will wash it into the public stormwater system, which can get clogged with leaves, pine needles, branches, mud, clumps of moss or lichen, and other debris. When that happens, it floods and clean up is costly and takes crews away from other work. Keep runoff flowing by keeping yard debris away from driveways, streets, drainage ditches, etc.
  5. Before visiting local parks and trails, check the map by Willamalane on which parks are currently closed due to downed trees and safety hazards:
  6. Take some time to know your neighbors so you can look out for each other if the need arises.

Prepare for emergencies:

  1. Sign up at Lane Alerts to receive emergency notifications via phone or email: If you had previously signed up for AlertMe!, that system has been replaced and you’ll want to sign up for Lane Alerts. You can change your notification preferences at any time.
  2. Get #WinterReady with guidance from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Scroll down that page for several useful winter-related topics and tips.
  3. Consider volunteering for Eugene-Springfield Community Emergency Response Team (CERT). They provide training and resources to community members for overall disaster preparedness. Find them at
  4. If “ham radio” might interest you, consider joining the Emerald Amateur Radio Society: If cell phone or telephone communications are down, the skills of these enthusiasts are invaluable.
  5. Check out the many local resources at the City of Springfield’s Emergency Management webpage:

Official City Communications

Important City of Springfield messages:

Daily updates on Springfield’s social media channels:

Team Springfield members

City of Springfield logo with mountains and rive with boat.
Springfield Public Schools logo 2024; 3 people with their hands raised.
Willamalane Park and Recreation District logo