Springfield Mayor Sean VanGordon invited Springfield Public Schools students to participate in the “If I were Mayor …” Student Contest held annually by the Oregon Mayors Association. Mayor VanGordon selected Thurston Elementary student Kaylin Collins and Agnes Stewart Middle School student Seven Bolejack as the top finalists heading to the state Oregon Mayors Association competition.
The contest was open to elementary, middle, and high school students. Hundreds of entries were submitted from SPS schools. The winners selected from each school were then forwarded to Mayor VanGordon to determine the top winning entries that would be moving on to the state contest.
“The SPS entries emphasized just how compassionate our students are and how much they care for the Springfield community,” said Mayor VanGordon.
Students will be recognized at a future City Council meeting in addition to being highlighted on the City’s website and shared on social media.
First place statewide winning student(s) in each category will win $500.These students will receive their prizes at the awards luncheon held during the OMA Summer Conference in Hood River at the Best Western Plus, August 10-12, 2023. Winners will be contacted in June for travel arrangements. Second and third place winning students win $300 and $100 respectively and will receive their prizes at local city presentations.
OMA Contest SPS Elementary School Winners:
- Kaylin Collins – Thurston Elementary
- Aaliyah Smith – Two Rivers Dos Rios Elementary
- Briannah Bourgeois – Riverbend Elementary
- Gracious Carter – Maple Elementary
- Jude Chase – Guy Lee Elementary
- Luna Alderfer-Rosenbrock – Douglas Gardens Elementary
- McKenzie Robinson – Walterville Elementary
- River Bangham – Elizabeth Page Elementary
OMA Contest SPS Middle School Essay Winners:
- Seven Bolejack – Agnes Stewart Middle School
- Kendall Collins and Madilyn Toensing – Hamlin Middle School
Learn more about the Oregon Mayor’s Association Student Contest at https://www.oregonmayors.org/special-programs/page/student-contest