City of Springfield
225 Fifth Street
Springfield, Oregon 97477
Ph: (541)726-3705 Fax: (541)726-4614
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Crime Prevention Unit
||Crime Prevention Unit employee.
Police Department – 230 Fourth St., Springfield, OR 97477.
||Days, evenings, weekends. Shifts are usually four hours in duration and will vary depending on the event/operation/activity.
||Must participate in a minimum of one event per month for six months of service.
||Assist with crime prevention efforts including outreach events and focused crime prevention operations.
Description of Duties
- Participate in community-focused, department-sponsored special events and activities including National Night Out, Springfield Police Department Open House, Springfield Christmas Parade, and crime prevention operations.
- Help staff department outreach tables, distribute crime prevention literature, and answer questions.
- Canvass neighborhoods door to door.
- Place flyers on vehicles in parking lots.
- Serve as handler (extra eyes and ears) for McGruff the Crime Dog.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Ability to send and receive e-mail from home.
- Ability to function well as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- High motivation and enthusiasm for supporting the efforts of the Crime Prevention Unit.
- Commitment to comply with confidentiality requirements and police policies.
- Positive and supportive attitude with people of all backgrounds and abilities.
- Supportive of philosophy of the Springfield Police Department and comfortable working within a police environment which sometimes involves people-related emergencies and crisis conflict management.
- Willingness to conform to quality control of work, take direction and accept feedback by paid staff.
- Ability to take direction and follow instructions by paid staff.
- Willingness to ask questions and seek clarification if unsure of task.
- Ability to lift, carry and move items up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to sit or stand for periods of time.
Training and Assignment Preparation
- Participation in the Citizens’ Police Academy is recommended but not required.
- Onsite training.
- Orientation with the Volunteer Coordinator or designee.
- Business casual or supplied uniform.
Download Individual Application
For additional information, contact KarLynn Akins, Volunteer Coordinator City of Springfield
(541) 726-4652 or firstname.lastname@example.org